Wednesday 12 August 2015

Carolyn Burton talks about her 'Nash 2015' experience

Listening on the radio to Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique at the Proms as I write this blog brings back great memories of last year's Nash course. A few days ago I went to a concert to hear Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances - bringing back memories of our 2013 tour in Berlin. 2015's Nash has been no exception, I'm certain that I'll always cherish memories of it in the years to come. A splendid 2 weeks both musically and socially, NYOW 2015 has definitely overall been my favourite course out of the 4 years that I've been a member! (I think I played more correct notes than usual, too!)
We started off with a few days of 'sectional' rehearsals - hard work but very worthwhile. I feel so lucky to have been part of a great 1st violin section this year; being alongside talented musicians and close friends and being able to learn under the inspiring tuition of Adrian. There is never a dull moment in our 1st violin sectionals! Tutors night brought to a close the end of the first few days of Nash, where we had a chance to dine with and thank our tutors for all their hard work. The 'Nash tradition' of going for a 1st violin curry in Lampeter also took place one evening during the course!

The brilliant team of house staff couldn't have done a better job looking after us over the residency and they kept us busy every day after rehearsals with social activities. These ranged from a treasure hunt and cabaret night to a 'Nash Olympics', where team Orange (my team) didn't do too well... As always, Fancy dress night was a huge success and definitely my favourite activity of the course! There was a real range of efforts and loads of creative costumes (some better than others!) - the theme for this year being 'La Peri'. My group of friends decided to go as 'Peris' (fairies) and made cardboard wings and found Arabian material which we made into headscarves from the Lampeter charity shops!

Having the chance to work alongside world-renowned conductors is one of the best things about Nash, and I really enjoyed playing under the baton of Paul Daniel this year. The 'tour' part of the course is also phenomenal as we have the chance to travel across the country and play in spectacular concert venues. I enjoyed playing in all the venues, particularly Hereford Cathedral (a sell-out audience for 3 Choirs Festival) and of course playing in my home venue of PJ Hall, Bangor. Playing for a 'home audience' with the Nash gave me such a buzz, and that's definitely an evening that I'll never forget. It's always lovely playing up in the North and having family, friends, music teachers etc come to watch us! This year I also enjoyed the opportunity of playing in the 'Composers Ensembles' and had great fun working with Mark Bowden and the young composers. We performed their pieces in 3 venues across the tour including Llanelli, a new venue for the Nash this year!


I've written way too much now so I should stop... but anyway Nash 2015 has been another incredible experience and I couldn't have asked for a better way of spending 2 weeks of my summer. Words can't describe the buzz you get from Nash, but I've done my best and hopefully the photos will help a little! I'm sad that some of my closest friends are leaving this year (in particular Olivia and Dàire, as we're all from Anglesey and have grown up in the youth music circuit together!). All I can say is that at least I have 2 years left of applying for Nash and I plan to make the most of them! Being a member of NYOW is one of the best opportunities that a young Welsh musician could ask for. Bring on Nash 2016!


Application forms for NYOW 2016 can be found at www.nyaw.co.uk 

No comments:

Post a Comment