Wednesday 12 August 2015

Sam Buttler reflects on his experiences during this summer's NYOW Residency

Nash 2015 has come to an end. This year was incredibly tiring, but very rewarding. The repertoire kept the entire orchestra on their toes in every rehearsal and every concert, but in the end, I think we really nailed it! Getting to play The Rite of Spring is a highlight in my musical life so far and is another addition into the great memories from NYOW.


The social side this year was another high point. We had a lot of fun coming up with our fancy dress this year, even if the theme (La Péri) was very difficult. In the end, myself and five of my friends decided to go as a six pack of pear cider. But we also decided to give it a twist, by going as “Nash Basics” Pear Cider! You can see our efforts below. It was great seeing other people’s efforts, such as the “Dukas of Hazzard” and a yellow submarine called “La Peri-scope” who were the eventual winners of the night.

Touring was also a great experience. I had never played in the Prichard-Jones Hall in Bangor or Y Ffwrnes in Llanelli before and these are two fantastic concert venues. It was fun to revisit Hereford Cathedral again as it was one of the venues in my first year. The final concert in St David’s Hall went really well, and it was great to have such a great crowd in my hometown of Cardiff.

I have enjoyed this year on both the musical and social sides. I strongly encourage anyone to apply next year for NYOW 2016, as it is a fantastic experience for any young musician. 

Application forms for NYOW 2016 can be found at www.nyaw.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment